Satterfield & Pontikes Construction delivered another environmentally sustainable school to the Dallas Independent School District with the completion of the 206,000 SF Billy Earl Dade Middle School. A remarkable achievement of this project is the completion of a school of this size and
scope in such a very short time. Because of an unforeseen delay during the District’s bid solicitation, S&P had only 10 months to put the facility in place in time for the 2013-2014 school year.
The school will accommodate 1,000 students in grades 6-8 and replaces the previous Billy Earl Dade Middle Learning Center. The three-story facility is designed and constructed according to environmental standards developed by the Texas Collaborative for High Performance Schools and includes numerous energy-saving components and systems.
• 43 classrooms
• Geothermal heating and cooling system
• Advanced computer and science labs
• Well-lit classrooms that maximize daylighting
• Two gymnasiums and locker rooms
• Food service/cafeteria area
• Administrative space
• Media center/library with two-story glass wall and downtown view
• Football fi eld, baseball and softball fi elds
• Wireless Internet access and use of Wi-Fi cards, smart phones and tablets
• Projection screens in all classrooms
Exterior features include brick veneer and stone panel accents, curtain walls, aluminum canopies and glass patterns that create a quilting eff ect. Prominent interior finishes include ceramic tile and wood flooring. The scope of work also included roadway improvements, concrete drives and paving, geothermal well field and piping, communications systems and structured cabling, fire suppression and alarm systems, landscaping, and irrigation system.